On September 27, 1906 a History of Follansbee was written and placed in the cornerstone of the new Jefferson School. Mayor Thomas Mahan issued a proclamation requesting the town’s people to decorate their homes in honor of the laying of the cornerstone. When the history was written, Follansbee had two churches, The Methodist Church on Virginia Avenue, and the Christian Church on the corner of Penn and Neville Streets. About three hundred private residences, a hotel, and thirty storerooms were built.
The Tri-State Traction Company operated through the city. The Bell Telephone Company and Phoenix Telephone Company operated in town. However, there were no paved streets, no streetlights, no sewers, and no water or gas mains in the city. In 1967, the tin box that was made at the Follansbee Brothers Tin Mill was opened.
- History of the City of Follansbee. http://www.angelfire.com/wv/bcg/fol.html