Category Archives: Uncategorized

Nov. 8, 1968 – Final Game Between Follansbee and Wellsburg

Wellsburg won the 48th and final football game over the Blue Wave 39-12. The rivalry began in 1917.  Not only was it the last game of the series, but the final game for both schools, since they consolidated into Brooke High the following year. In capturing the final county championship title, Wellsburg won the Silver Saw, the trophy donated by the Wellsburg Kiwanis Club in 1949.

The final points scored by a Follansbee team occurred in the first period when Guy Casinelli fired a pass to Jim Thomaselli.  In the third quarter, Ron Sebek scored the second touchdown on a one yard run.

scan0054

 

 

 

 

 

 

Celebration of final game between Follansbee and Wellsburg.

Follansbee Review, “Knights Win Silver Saw in Final,” Wednesday, Nov. 20, 1968

1967 – Chronology of Follansbee High Football Coaches

Follansbee High School Football Coaches

1910 – George Hubbs
1919 – H. R. Ice
1921 – “Monk” Hager
1922 – Fred Stewart
1923 – Harry F. Sweeny
1926 – T.W. Caskey
1929 – George Roark
1931- Earl Zook
1935 – Harry F. Sweeney
1939 – Jimmy Carey
1945 – Mac Bowles
1950- Argue E. “Gus” Winter
1952 – Dough Stone
1963 – Danny Williams
1967 – Anthony “Tony” Paesano

  • Follansbee Review, “Follansbee High Holds Burgettstown 0 to 0 on own field,” October 3, 1919, Front page. (Article mentions Coach Ice)
  • Steubenville Harold Star, “Largest Grid Squad in F.H.S. History Reported Tuesday,” Sep. 5, 1923, p. 8.   (Mentions “Monk” Hager, Fred Stewart, and Harry Sweeny).

June 1967 – Jefferson School Was Demolished

The old school that was built in 1906 was demolished to make room for a new $465,000 consolidated elementary school. The facility now serves all first through fourth grades in the Follansbee area.   Many former students of the school took bricks as mementos of their of their years in the old school. A time box was found in the corner stone of the building containing the early history of Follansbee.

Feb. 17, 1964-History of St. Anthony School

The history of St. Anthony school begins with the vision of a number of capable Catholic priests. In 1917 the Rev. Henry Parascandola was assigned the Church’s first resident pastor.  He acquired properties on the corner of Jefferson and Raymond streets.  Rev. James Rogers became pastor in 1919.  In 1927 the first school building was built.  However, the building was used primarily for church events until 1938.

August 29, 1938 was the official opening date planned for St. Anthony’s parochial school. The announcement was made by Father Martin J. Egan, who was the new pastor having arrived in May.

Three Sisters of the Poor Child Jesus were chosen to conduct the school, assisted by Father Egan.  The sisters were members of an educational order, located at Parkersburg, WV.  Classrooms in the church and school building, erected several years earlier were to be used.

Because of the limited accommodations and the large number of families who asked to register their children, classes were restricted to the first three grades.  In order to determine which children could enter, entrance exams were conducted.  Children entering school for the first time were required to be vaccinated.

By early September 120 children were enrolled as the school opened its door.   Each grade was limited to 40 students.  The curriculum included regular studies, supplemented by religious instruction and Bible reading.

In 1947 Father Robert Weiskercher was appointed to St. Anthony.  During the same year, a Kindergarten was established in the basement of the school.  Plans were also underway for a new high school.

In the summer of 1953, work began on St. Anthony High School.  Its doors opened for two classes, 9th and 10th grades in September 1954.  The high school continued to grow as Rev. John O’Reilly, and Rev. John Allison, his associate, added classes. In June 1957 the first senior class graduated.  By 1959 St. Anthony had 10 teaching nuns, 408 pupils with 135 of these attending high school.

In spite of the efforts of dedicated parishioners and clergy, the announcement to close the high school was made on February 17, 1964. “The rising financial cost and the trend toward centralization of facilities on the part of school systems were the main reasons given for the closing of the small St. Anthony High School.”  St. Anthony had an enrollment of 148 students in high school, and 396 in the lower grades.

Rev. Fr. John L. O. Reilly announced that St. Anthony would merge with Madonna High School of Weirton, WV.  Madonna High became the consolidated Catholic High School for both Hancock and Brooke counties.  The classrooms at St. Anthony High continued to be used for the Follansbee parochial elementary school.

IMG_20141006_0012 St. Anthony Grade School

 

 

St. Anthony School

 

 

 

 

St. Anthony’s First School Building 

 

 

 
 

1964 St. Anthony

 

 

 

 

 

 

*Follansbee Review, “Parochial School Will Open.” Aug. 18, 1938, p. 1.

*Follansbee Review, “120 Students at Parochial School,” Sep. 8, 1938, p.1.

*”St. Anthony’s Church: History of the Parish,” 1992 Celebration of 50th Anniversary of Church Building.

*Steubenville Herald Star, “Follansbee St. Anthony Will Be Closed,” Feb. 17, 1964.

*Steubenville Herald Star, “St. Anthony Alumni to Meet,” Feb. 27, 1964.

1962-1973- Final Days of Mahan School

Mahan grade school was built at Main and State streets in 1914.  The school served the lower-end of Follansbee from Penn street to the lower city limits, and children from the Cross Creek vicinity.  In 1962, the school suffered significant damage to the rear of the building from fire.  During the renovation of the school, children attended classes in various locations where temporary space was leased by the city.

In 1969 the new enlarged Jefferson School was constructed and Mahan students began attending Jefferson.  The Mahan building was no longer in use.

In June 1973, Mayor Adam Dalessio’s city council passed the necessary legislation to demolish Mahan School and create a recreation area on the site.  “Residents of Follansbee were amazed at the speed the Murphy Construction Co. of Wellsburg demolished” the grand old school.
The school was gone but the fire escape remained.  Matz Malooe, a Herald Star newspaper photographer, captured the last standing remains of the school.  The photo was titled, “A Staircase to Nowhere ???.  For hundreds of residents who recall their childhood years at Mahan, the photo remains a lasting memory.
Council moved quickly with the Mahan School recreational site project.  The Tri-State Asphalt Co. was contracted for black-topping the of basketball, tennis, and handball courts.  The Lee Kane Fence Co. of East Liverpool installed 600 feet of aluminum fencing.  Additional plans were underway for lighting the area during evenings.  The recreational site continues to exists and serves the kids of the local community.
  • *(See 1914 Mahan School on Timeline)
  • *Steubenville Herald Star, “Demolition Bid Goes To Murphy,” Wed. June 6, 1973.
  • *Steubenville Herald Star, “Mahan Recreational Site Project Pushed,” Tues. June 12, 1973.
  • *Steubenville Herald Star, “Staircase to No-Where ???” Fri. June 15, 1973.

1960- Hillside and Aerial Photos of Follansbee

The city of Follansbee began as a boomtown with the construction of the Follansbee Brothers Tin Mills between 1902-1904. In 1906 the town was chartered as the city of Follansbee. The Follansbee Brothers continued to expand and other factories and businesses moved to the city. The 1910 census recorded the town population as 2,031. By 1920 the population grew to 3,135, and between 1930 and 1960 the city census remained over four thousand persons residing in Follansbee. The census did not include the unincorporated areas surrounding the city. 

The aerial and hillside photos of the city illustrate the remarkable prosperity and growth of Follansbee.  The golden age of Follansbee occurred between the 1930s and 1960s including World War II, the Korean War, and Vietnam Conflict.   

270705-p1bf28q0pm1oeku8u55b1qk11bi9 270914-p1bf28ur3v14eb1t761kib9c81h08 271512-p1bf29273snd5iemn2f12qd1er 272012-p1bf29bb291q4m1giuimt10f44np

Sheet Metal factory at far right. Mahan School upper right.

glass_house

Jefferson Glass factory, upper left.

IMG_0504

Photo from Highland Avenue

IMG_0505

Photo from Highland Avenue

IMG_0523

Photo from Highland Avenue

IMG_0556

Photo from Highland Avenue

untitled Follansbee Aerial Photo

Early photo of city before paved streets.

thumbnail_Follansbee Birdseye view

 

 

 

 

 

 

To see this picture in greater detail, first click on the image. Second, hold the Ctrl key down while using the scroller on your mouse. To bring computer screen back to normal, click out of the picture, hold down the Ctrl key and scroll in the opposite direction.

At the right, you see the river, the houses in front are on Virginia avenue.  You can see the newly paved sidewalks there, those walks were paved after the 1913 flood.  Prior to 1913 , the walks were made of wooden slats, which got washed away by the flood of 1913. This area is the block north of Raymond street, (the 1000 block). The big building on the left with 5 windows on the upper floor is the Grago Garage & the skating ring was upstairs.  The north end of Follansbee Steel is in the middle of the (900 block).  The Immediate front house is on Neville street, and behind that is Jefferson street.                                                           Description given by Joe Settimio.

*Photos courtesy of WV Archives, Tillie Meno, and Burgesttown Historical Society

 

June 1957 – Follansbee St. Anthony Graduates First Class

St. Anthony school began operation in September 1938 with 3 Sisters. In 1947 a kindergarten was established in the basement. In the summer of 1953 work began on St. Anthony High School. The doors opened to 9th and 10th grades in September 1954.  The school continued adding grades until June 1957 when the first senior class graduated. By 1959, St. Anthony had 10 teaching nuns and 408 students with 135 of these as high school students.  Because of financial difficulties, St. Anthony discontinued classes on February 17, 1964.

  • “St. Anthony Parish 100th Anniversary Celebration: 1906-2006.”  Follansbee, WV. November 5, 2006, p. 3.

 

1956 – Gleen Ashby “Jeep” Davis — Olympic Champion

IMG_20141012_0007 Gleen Davis was born in Follansbee.  After his parents died when he was 15, he moved to Barberton (OH) to live with his brother.  Davis became a track star at Ohio State. He won Olympic gold medals in the 400 meter hurdles at the 1956 Melbourne and 1960 Rome Olympics. In 1958 he received the James E. Sullivan Award as the nation’s top amateur athletic.  He was also a sprinter and won a third gold medal as a member of the U.S. 4X400 meter relay team in 1960. He is a member of the U.S. Olympic Hall of Fame.  Davis was featured on the June 27, 1960 cover of Sports Illustrated.   Following his track career, he played wide receiver for the Detroit Lions in 1960-1961.

 

Mayor Tony Paesano, who knew Davis’ late sister, Doris Basil, said while growing up in Follansbee, Davis was known for setting up saw horses and garbage cans in Rose Alley (now Rose Street) to practice running hurdles. On a visit to Follansbee in 1998, Davis served as the Grand Marshall in the Community Days parade. He died in 2009.

g_davis
  • See “TJ Hill-1954” on timeline
  • See “Gleen Davis (athletic)” on Wikipedia for more information (On-line)     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Davis_(athlete)
  • Brooke Scene, “Follansbee native, Olympian remembered,” February 7, 2009, p. 4.