Sept. 1922 – New Follansbee District High School Built

The corner stone of the new Cross Creek District High School was laid by the Masonic Fraternity. The ceremony was conducted by the Wellsburg Lodge No. 1 with a big turnout of members from Follansbee and Wellsburg.  Led by the Knights of Pythias band, a parade marched up Main Street to the high school building just north of Mark Avenue in the La Belle addition.   An impressive ritualistic service of the Masons occurred while Grand Master Samuel J. Spears, of Elkins, and local lodge officers laid the stone.  The contents of the box placed in the stone included a copy of the bond issue that provided for the construction of the school.  Also included were copies of the Follansbee Review and Wheeling newspapers, names of the Board of Education members, names of the high school students, copies of the 1919 welcome reception program for returning soldiers from World War I, and a history of the Cross Creek district. The stone was put into place as the band played “A Perfect Day.”  Speeches were delivered by A. F. Young, district superintendent of schools, C. A. Schwertfeger, president of the District Board of Education, and Dr. D. J. Steiner member of the board. The inscription on the corner stone reads: “Laid by the Masonic Fraternity 1922.”




Follansbee High School, photo courtesy of Mayor’s office Follansbee.



1922 Construction of FHS - Pat Adler Construction of Follansbee High School 1922-23. Photo-Pat Adler





Follansbee Distrcit High School





Elza Scott, Principal of the Colliers schools, completed arrangements for the transportation of pupils form Colliers to the new Cross Creek District High School (Follansbee High School) each morning and evening. Pupils from the Tent and Goodwill schools were also being transported. Mr. Blosser of Follansbee agreed to furnish the bus transportation. This was the first project of its kind launched in Brooke County.

Homer S. Bodley; Follansbee High Principal and Football Trainer

  • Follansbee Review, “Modern High School Building at Follansbee,” September 1, 1922, front page.
  • Follansbee Review, “Plans to Transport Rural Pupils to H.S.,” September 1, 1922, p.1..