In November 1770, George Washington came down the Ohio River from Fort Pitt (earlier know as Fort Duquesne -Pittsburgh) for the purpose of inspecting the lands and making claims. He surveyed the land from Brown’s Island to Cross Creek just below present day Follansbee and Mingo. He described the Mingo Indian village, which had moved to the west side of the river, as having 20 cabins and about 70 inhabitants.
On his return up the river on November 17th, he stopped again at the Mingo Town to wait the arrival of a runner sent ahead to bring back horses from Fort Pitt. “Freshets had made the traveling difficult, and the runner did not return until November 20th.”
Washington Crossing – road marker.