Sep. 14, 1917 – Dedication of the Free Methodist Church

Dedication of the Free Methodist Church on South Virginia Avenue occurred on Sunday, September 23.  Rev. A. D. Zahniser, general conference evangelist, delivered the opening address.  This church building is still standing today on south Virginia avenue very near State Street.  The Follansbee Review reported that earlier congregational meetings occurred in a former school-room on State street, that had a capacity 80 for Sunday school. 

Rev. Free Methodist


Rev. Arthur C. Palmer was the pastor of the church during 1917. He was then followed by Rev. L.C. Andre in 1922. In February of 1917,  Rev. Arthur C. Palmer miraculously escaped from an assassination attempt which was then reported by the city newspaper. For further information on this event,  see link below.













  • *Follansbee Review, “Four Sermons,” Feb. 11, 1916, p. 1.     
  • Photos of Reverends Courtesy of- Follansbee Review                                                      
  • *See on Timelne: Rev. Arthur C. Palmer’s Miraculous Escape.